Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Biscuits

Biscuits are a way of life in Texas. It's proper cowboy cuisine. My grandfather taught me how to make them, taught all the grandkids how to make them, at an early age. It's a great memory and I wanted to share it with Nicky. So, I've come up with my own recipe.

As I often do, I started out by ripping off Alton Brown. And tweaking it.

Alton Brown Recipe

Ingredients:


2 cups flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons butter
1 cup milk plus splash of lemon juice or Vinegar OR 1 cup buttermilk
Honey

Directions:

Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.

If you're subbing out for buttermilk add the lemon juice or vinegar to your milk now and let it curdle a little.

In large mixing bowl combine dry ingredients with butter. Use your hands. And break up the butter into large crumbs in the dry ingredients. Make a well in the center. Add your milk.

This is a sticky dough. You'll want to work it as little as possible. Just get everything incorporated. Try to keep the butter solid and in large crumbs.

Liberally flour your a rolling surface. Put your dough on and liberally add more flour. Lightly kneed the dough. Flour again.

Roll out once into a thin sheet (1/8"). Fold the dough back on itself as high as it'll go. Reflour. Push it back down flat to a 1/4" with hands or roller.

Cut out 1" squares. (I don't use a cutter, because you have to reform the dough. I like this because you get perfect squares that are all fluffy.)

Paint top of biscuits with honey.

Grease a baking sheet.

Bake until biscuits are tall and light gold on top, 15 to 20 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment